Tuesday, April 26, 2011

TED - Next Generation and Bionic Fight

I was recently sent two great pieces by a couple of your classmates.

Imelda sent me this article that talks about the pros and cons of GMOs (genetically modified organisms).  It features Joel Salatin, the farmer from Virginia that many of you liked and respected from the Food Inc. video.



Nick sent me this short video.  It is an eleven year old (future leader, I think!) who has a sure sense of self and a real idea of what he wants in his food and what he doesn't want. 

As the first article states, "The argument continues. Some say GMOs are the best hope for the world's food shortage, while others say they are our worst nightmare."

What is your take?

4 comments:

  1. I found this quote in the article by the FDA very interesting, "They argue that labels indicating the presence of GMOs in a food might mislead consumers into thinking those foods are unsafe." The FDA wants to "protect" us from foul words like GMOs. By using reverse logic, I think food manufacturers that don't use GMOs should state it on labels and "fool" consumers into thinking the products are safer. I have a feeling if it catches with Non-GMO products they will be forced to put an * similar to milk from cows not treated with rBST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "GMOs are at the cutting edge of making food safer, more affordable, more abundant and giving more people choices." I can't get over how deceiving this quote is. Even the institutions that control what we eat and how its produced are convinced that GMOs are doing positive things for our bodies. When Goodlatte says "more affordable," he really means less costly. This is a way for them to cut costs and greatly increase profit margins, at the expense of our crops and animals, the well being of the farmers, and the health of the consumers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe it either. I don't even know how they are trying to make us thing GMOs are good. We all know anything processed and produced genetically is not good, even though it is safer and more affordable. I think it is not doing positive things because first of all it is not natural. I believe over time not only it affects our health and bodies, but the process of what is and who it is affecting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree with the fact that GMOs are the solution for the world's food storage. First, we should think about stop wasting food.

    ReplyDelete